Several years later, the decision was made to concentrate the company’s entire efforts on wholesale business. Operations were consolidated at the Iwilei plant in 1932. By July 1943, with the demand for bread and crackers increasing due to the demands of both the armed forces and civilians, a new plant was opened on Kapahulu Avenue. Over the years, it was completely modernized and mechanized, as progressive as any bakery in the world. The transport of bread and crackers to the neighbor islands, once shipped by barge, began to be flown in the “flying bakery truck” as early as 1945.
The company that was held closely through generations of Robert Love’s descendants was sold to ITT Continental Baking Company in 1968. Then in 1981, Love’s Bakery was purchased again, this time by First Baking Co., Ltd. of Japan and the company’s name became Daiichiya-Love’s Bakery. In 1990, the bakery moved from its Kapahulu location to its present site on Middle Street. And in 2008, ownership of the bakery returned home to Hawaii when local management purchased the company from First Baking Co.
Love’s Bakery is proudly celebrating its 170 anniversary on July 12, 2021 and we’re thankful for all of the love and support we have received from kama’āina and visitors throughout the years.